10 Guidelines for Lasting Weight Loss Through A Healthy Lifestyle
Here are 10 guidelines for lasting weight loss, the kind of weight loss that becomes effortless and natural over time. While we all know that fad diets don’t work in the long run, many of us wonder what does work, and if it is possible to actually enjoy life and maintain a healthy weight at the same time.
Well, I am here, living proof, to tell you that when you change your lifestyle, your health, and weight, dramatically improve. If you actually DO these things ON A DAILY BASIS, you will see wonderful changes in your weight, health, and outlook on life!
Your weight IS a reflection of your health, and you CAN choose to make healthy choices that are delicious, nourishing, and enjoyable- without guilt, control, and “willpower”! Use your “knowpower” to create the life you deserve!
- Be active! Daily exercise is one of the most important healthy lifestyle tips. Exercise on a daily basis for at least 30 minutes per day. A brisk walk, hiking, cycling, swimming, yoga, aerobics, you choose! Any kind of sustained bodily movement can do wonders for your metabolism, your weight, and of course, your health. And the more often you exercise and stay active, the greater your ability to keep the pounds off.
- Sleep 6 to 8 hours per day. This will help your body to replenish itself and gives your body time to rebuild its cells. Lack of sleep deprives you of your day, and can easily affect your eating habits. Adequate sleep is essential for your overall health and well-being.
- Eat a High Quality diet. Start your day with a protein-rich breakfast. Increase your intake of fresh, brightly colored and green vegetables, and add lean proteins, legumes, and good fats to your meals. Avoid foods that are processed, and work to eliminate your intake of foods that contain hydrogenated oils, trans-fats, sodium, and chemicals. Drink plenty of purified water and healthy teas; eliminate artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup from your diet.
- Have a positive outlook. People who are positive tend to have better health and success in losing weight than those who are negative thinkers.
- Maintain a balanced lifestyle. Spend quality time with your spouse, children, neighbors, and community. There should be a balance between your work time and your leisure time. You will actually be able to be more productive when you make time to exercise, relax and have fun.
- If you smoke, decide to quit. As you know, it is harmful to your health and others in a myriad of ways (i.e. heart disease, lung cancer, premature aging, etc). There are numerous ways to support your body and mind through the withdrawal phase, such as hypnosis, meditation, homeopathic and herbal supplements to detoxify your body, and an array of professionals that you could call on for support.
- Make time for spirituality. Meditation or prayer helps you learn how to quiet your mind. It helps reduce stress and helps us by taking the time to remind ourselves of the wonders of this body or “temple’ we have been given. This "time out" allows you to pay attention to yourself and can greatly assist you in implementing healthy lifestyle changes. Even if you can connect spiritually only a few minutes per day, the result will amaze you.
- Reduce your intake of alcohol. It is best if you could avoid it, but if you cannot, make sure that you only consume alcohol in moderation (a glass of wine or a can of beer per day). If you have a stubborn 5 to 10 pounds that you can't seem to lose, try giving up all the sugars that reside in your beverage of choice. Again, you'll be amazed.
- Surround yourself with friends and family members who are supportive. A research by Australian scientist suggested that people who have friends that they can count on to be there for them, live longer, happier lives. (As reported by the BBC news http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4094632.stm) Support at home is also crucial when changing your diet.
- Be appreciative of your life, your health and whatever you have. Gratitude is good for your soul as well as your health, and helps you to stay positive as you make positive changes in your life!